Recipe–Summer Salad–Mexican Grilled Corn Salsa Salad

Summer is salads.  And a good taco salad can’t be beat.  Now this Mexican Corn Salsa Salad is loaded with flavor and not calories.  While visiting our cousins, we were served a very delicious corn salsa.  I couldn’t stop eating the stuff.  The corn tortillas just kept dipping themselves into the salsa and jumping up into my mouth.  It was some seriously good stuff.  And the great part is that it was made with good-for-you stuff.  I altered the recipe to this family’s taste, but I will give you both so that you can make it the way you want.

Let’s make the salsa, first.  Gather the ingredients.  You will need corn (on the ear is best), yellow or red pepper, garlic, green onion, salsa or fresh tomatoes, a can or two of black beans, mayonnaise, a lime, cumin, hot pepper (not pictured), salt and pepper.

Now you can make the salsa with fresh corn, but roasting the corn gives it an added dimension of smokiness.  Start the grill, and roast your ears of corn for about 15 minutes (turning occasionally.)  Now I read all about how you are to soak the corn in water for 20 minutes and then roast the ears IN the husk to steam the kernels and keep the corn moist, but for a salsa, I just shucked the corn and chucked it on a hot grill.

While the corn is roasting, drain the beans and add them to a large mixing bowl.  Now we doubled this recipe, and it didn’t last more than 4 hours.  I wanted to have leftovers, but I had to make more the next day, so think about that when you start chopping.

Now starts the chopping.  It is all the flavors and crunch that make this grilled corn salsa addicting.  Do all the chopping and dicing now, and your mouth will say “thank-you” later.  Let’s start with the red/yellow bell pepper.  Dice it up.

This salsa doesn’t have onions.  It gets its heat from a hot pepper (jalapeno) and a green onion.  I use the bag that I bought the hot pepper in as a glove because one time I didn’t use a glove and I rubbed my eye.  I shed more tears after that eye rub than during the entire 3 hours of the movie “Titanic.”

I just love the colors.

Add the green onion.

And a clove of garlic or two.

By now, the corn on the grill is probably finished. (I hope you remembered to turn it once or twice.)  My mom taught me a trick when cutting corn off the cob.  As corn seems to go everywhere, put a tray under the cutting board.  It catches some of the extra corn and is easier to clean.  Now I have Southern blood, and I like things Blackened!, so my corn may be a bit darker than what you would like.

Here is where the road divides.  There are the tomato lovers, and the others.  I am a tomato lover, and a lover of tomatoes, and I love tomatoes.  Therefore, I chopped up several Roma tomatoes and added them to the mix.  If you are an “other”, you may want to just add 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa.

At this point you could just quit and eat it as it is.  Sample a few bites with some tortilla chips.  Keep telling yourself that you will only have one more salsa loaded chip; then tell yourself that again, and again, and again.

If there is any salsa left, you can continue reading.  If not, I know that have enjoyed yourself, and that my friend, is the point.  As I was saying,. . .if you haven’t eaten it all you will want to add some mayonnaise (one large dollop of about 1/4 – 1/2 of a cup.)  If I hadn’t already sampled this delicious corn salsa, I probably would have eliminated this step.  Mayonnaise in salsa?  However, I can tell you that it tastes wonderful.  You are really just adding the mayonnaise as a cohesive and it does keep the fresh tomatoes from getting “liquidy.”  Omit it if you want.  Add it if you trust me.

Seasoning:  Add some cumin.

Squeeze in a lime or two.  And salt and pepper to taste.  I am a cilantro lover, and a lover of cilantro, and I love cilantro, BUT I refrained from adding it to this recipe, and I was surprised that I think I made the right call.

We ate all the Grilled Corn Salsa with tortilla chip immediately.  I wanted it for salads the next day, but I had to make some more.  Here are the salads, I served the next day at lunch–Mixed lettuce, more tomatoes, cheddar, chips, limes, and Ranch.

This is the recipe that Sue gave me.  You can follow it or ad lib like I did.

1 ear of corn on the cob;  1/2 c. hot salsa;  1/4 c. mayo;  1/4 t. chili powder;  1 garlic clove or 1/4 t. powdered garlic;  1/4 t. cumin;  1 can black beans;  1 diced orange pepper;  1 sliced green onion.  Mix and serve in Romain boats.

Thanks Sue!

wishing I had more in my refrigerator,

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Recipe–Summer Salad–Mexican Grilled Corn Salsa Salad

1. Nancy says:

That looks so good i think i am going to add it to my menu for next week!

2. Mom and Dad Whit says:

You will HAVE to make this at Lake Chelan.

Looks scrumptious!!!!!!!!!

4. Lisa Buchanan says:

I want you to know that I do trust you, I do. BUT, I almost get a twitch not adding cilantro. It’s incredibly hard for me. I’ll wrestle with this for a bit before I make it. I will make this salsa though, because I love all things salsa and fresh and healthy and on a tortilla chip. I’m just sayin’ . . . omitting the cilantro leaves me feeling quite blue.

• Lisa Buchanan says:

Is that how you spell “twitch”? It doesn’t look right to me. But for the life of me, I can’t think of an alternate spelling.

Since I can’t even spell the word “salad” in the title of my post, I don’t think I’m the one to ask. I think I combined the words salad and salsa and got “salas.” I corrected it.

Maybe in one of your “twitches” you could accidently toss some in.

5. Laura M says:

For the record, it’s a bit unfair to post a recipe that we cannot immediately make or eat!!! Next time maybe you could go about it like the book club where you told us to go get the book first. Give us a list of ingredients to have on hand and then a few days later, give us the recipe. 🙂

BTW, it looks absolutely delish and I will be giving it a try – thanks!

Always good to hear your voice. I like your idea of hinting at a coming recipe, by posting the ingredients.

6. Debbie Frewing says:

Oh my word…..this looks so good. Love the idea of roasting the corn! I have a similar recipe that I’ll share.
    MEXICAN CAVIAR
    1 Lg can black beans; drained
    2 cans corn; drained
    1 can Rotel tomatoes w/ green chilis
    1 onion; chopped
    1 bunch cilantro; chopped
    2 Lg tomatoes; chopped
    2 advocados; chopped
    Mix all together. Add;
    1/4 c. olive oil
    1/8 c. red wine vinegar
    1 tsp. salt
    Lime juice to taste

Sounds wonderful–especially the avacado. Also, Rotel is very handy and delicious. I am copying it down! Thanks so much for sharing.

7. Natalie says:

Oh man, that looks mighty tasty. I think we’ll have to try that soon. I used a cookie sheet under my cutting board for our sautéed corn tonight, it works great! No more corn all over the counter. : )

I’m so glad your blog was brought to my attention; it’s such a great way to keep up on what you are all doing! ♥

Thanks so much for stopping by! I had this salad again for lunch today. Thanks again for staying in touch with us. It had been several years now that we haven’t even gotten a Christmas letter out.