A few days back, we received the news that The Hunni’s “Grandma passed away.” She had turned 100 this summer, and we were able to attend her birthday party. The Hunni’s grandma is finally to her Home. “. . .absent from the body, . . present with the LORD. II Cor. 6:3”
The Hunni’s grandma had lived a century. She was born in 1911. Here’s a glimpse of a few of the events of the past 100 years that Grandma lived through.
- The Civil War had only been over for 46 years, so there were still Civil War veterans around when she was born.
- Florence Nightingale had died only one year prior.
- The year 1911 is also the year Macchu Picchu was rediscovered by Hiram Bingham, the Mexican Revolution with Pancho Villa was going on, and China was beginning its fight for a republic.
- This is the same year that Ronald Regan and Jack Ruby were born.
- This generation saw two World Wars, the Holocaust, Korean, Vietnam, two Gulf Wars, and Sept. 11.
- The first powered airplane, to everyday travel, to men walking on the moon, to the end of the Space Program in America.
- Being born when Civil War generals were still alive, to the Civil Rights Movement, to an African-American president.
- From the Spanish Flu pandemic that killed over 90 million people, to the discovery of penicillin, to laparoscopic surgeries, to wide-spread use of cosmetic surgery.
- from farming with horses to a global dependency on oil,
- from the first airmail flight (1911) to Facebook.
They are a remarkable generation.