She Said–Production–Starting Our Own Business Part VI

Thanks for coming along with me.  I really appreciate it.

Production = making the thing-er-ma-bobber, the do-hickey, the what-cha-ma-call-it, or the Gadget that you just invented.

Production varies greatly between products, but there are a few general stages.

• You need a prototype.  Something to show people.  A mock-up.
  • You need to contact all the teams that are going to make your product.  For example, if you designed a computer program, you would need an artist, perhaps music and sound effects, etc. . .
  • And you need a set date in which everything needs to be finished.  Without a timeline, everything crawls forward.  With a deadline, there may be some “all nighters”but things get finished.

So. . .would you like to know what this Whit’s end family is producing.

Our “little idea” grew into a “bigger idea.”

If I want to impress, I would say, “We are in children’s fashion”–in a very nasal voice.

But if you want to know what we really are doing, “We are printing T-shirts.”  But before you think “how lame” these T-shirts are unique and interactive.

Our idea is to sell T-shirts with a girl printed on the front .  She would have velcro on her front, so you can change the outfits.  Basically, these T-shirts are like a “paperdoll” printed on a shirt.

Here is the write up.

Ypsi Dolls are interactive T-shirts that allow girls to have a friend accompany them throughout their day and join them in their adventures. These high quality shirts are made in the U.S.A. with creativity in every detail.  All Ypsi Dolls outfits are interchangeable between dolls and shirt sizes, so when your girl outgrows her Ypsi Doll T-shirt, you can still use the Ypsi Doll clothes on the larger size shirt.  Each Ypsi Doll has a personality and can be followed on the Ypsi Doll Blog and Facebook.  As a company, Ypsi Designs desires to add to the magic and joy of girlhood by creating a product that allows for expression of creativity, affirmation of values, and that gives girls companionship.

So that was our “little idea” that grew.

If you would like to see a T-shirt go from idea to finished product (all those steps in between) stay tuned.

And as always, thank-you for visiting Wal-Mart. . .I mean. . . .er My Whit’s End.

P.S.  This concludes Business 101 taught by a novice that has yet to sell a product.  We are heading to a trade show to show off our idea.  I know their needs to be a chapter about advertising, but we aren’t there yet.  I will update you as I make mistakes.

And lastly, our website isn’t up and running, so please don’t visit us right now.  I will let you know when it is finish, and you can shop.  If you came over right now, it would be like stopping by a friend’s house when she is in the middle of doing her laundry.  Even though she is making progress, it would appear messy.  thanks 🙂

This entry was posted in She said... and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to She Said–Production–Starting Our Own Business Part VI

1. Natalie says:

Ahhhh! The pictures turned out so cute! I think you’ve got a great “little idea” on your hands. Now we’ll pray that moves from your hands to your pocket book! ♥

2. Glenda says:

Adorable Rebecca and your little models are quite beautiful as well 😉 Praying as well, how fun!!

3. What a great idea I love them. I’ll take two. 🙂

4. Kelly K says:

Fantastic idea; I admire you taking it to the next level. I immediately thought of the two little Respectable Redneck girls, and see that thier mom did too! As a former Michigander, my Spouse will like the “Ypsi”.

We are still in the process of registaring the name as a trademark. I hadn’t realized how complicated the process was. I am both anxious and excited about the trade show in a few weeks in Chicago.

5. Laura says:

SOO cute!!

6. Jinny says:

LOOKS GOOD!!

now you are getting somewhere!!! really original avd cute….my granddaughters would love them, so waiting for an order blank!! t-shirts from washington???

The first printing did come from Washington. And a huge thank-you to Jo and Company for printing them. We had to move to Californina because of the shipping costs.

8. Teresa McFarland says:

These shirts are adorable!!! I am so excited to finally get to see them. I pray everything goes well for you at the tradeshow. BTW, I am Grace’s friend that you talked to on the phone about your business idea.

Thanks so much for stopping by!!! I am sorry that I never really got back with you. I took the skirt out to California to the Sewing Company, but with so many panals, it was too expensive to produce right now. I still love the skirt and would love to feature your Esty store on my blog. If you are interested, send me a link to your store, and I will do a write up on how cutte your skirts are. BECAUSE THEY ARE ADORABLE!!!

• Teresa McFarland says:

That is quite alright about not contacting me again. Life has been super crazy this year. The shirts really are adorable and I love the name. Thanks for the offer to feature my etsy store. The site is http://www.bullfrogbutterflies.etsy.com. I do not have much inventory at the time but I have been fairly busy with customs. Most people have just been emailing me with their requests which makes it hard to build my inventory back up from the holiday sales.

Give me a week or two, and I will get a post up.

Teresa, do you mind if I cut and paste some images from your etsy shop? You have some great photographs, and I wouls like to show them off.

• Teresa McFarland says:

You can use whatever photos you want. Can’t wait to see what you do.

thanks.

9. Brooke says:

What a great little growing to big idea! All the little models are darling…but there is one I especially like : ) We’ll have to send out lots of orders from our meeting to fill your in-laws’ car next time they visit you : )

10. deliajude says:

sweet idea. heaps of blessings on the new business.
    too bad my girl is all about vans, skinny jeans and stripey tees.

Thanks so much! I REALLY appreciate it. And give me a few years, I hope to be able to come up with something for the older girls also. It won’t be “paperdoll” T-shirt, but maybe I can find someting that creative expressive age likes.

11. Liz says:

These are super cute! I am sure Lauren will be sporting one. I admire you sticking your neck out there and not really knowing how it is going to turn out. I will be praying for your family during this venture.

12. Lisa Buchanan says:

So impressed, Rebecca! I just caught myself up on your business posts and FINALLY came to the “little/big idea”. LOVE IT! I will pray it hits the floor running at the trade fair. Exciting! I’m also pretty sure I know a little someone who would love one!

Thanks so much. We are on the countdown, eating beans and oatmeal, and paying all the bills. BUT, I think we are going to make it–just. The kiddos have been good sports about everything.

13. Lisa Jacobsen says:

Love the idea! I’ll take one for my daughter!!! Praying that it all goes smoothly for you!

14. Jomama says:

Darling x 4! These turned out so very cute! Oh my stars. I hope you guys have a fun time at the trade show, and that you get a great response! Your four “models” are adorable as well. Do they get to come to the show too? I am sure no buyer could resist those sweet faces, but you might need a minor work permit…..

Unfortunately, none of the models live in Chicago–where the trade show is. It is too bad, as I agree, no one could resist their cute faces. We will have a slide show running (on a big screen) of their photo shoot, though.