Every family has a language.
Our family’s language is influenced by the books we read, the tapes we listen to, and the movies we watch.
Let me share some commonly heard quotes around our house. And since I have some more prizes in my stash, let’s make it a contest. See if you can correctly match the quote with the person/character.
1. “You are outnumbered one to one, surrender or die!”
2. “What a handsome hippopotamus!” –said when we want to complement someone.
3. Ricky: “There you go again, wanting something that you haven’t got.” and She replies, “I do not! I just want to see what it is that I haven’t got that I don’t want.”
4. “How long does getting thin take?”–said often and usually with a full mouth by the Mommi around here.
5. “DEATH OR GLORY!”–precedes all charges and conquering of enemies.
6. Husband: “How long are you going to be gone [shopping]?” Wife: “Oh about $40 dollars.”–I vary the amount depending on where I am headed.
7. “NOT OF GENERAL INTEREST!”–said at the breakfast/lunch/dinner table when one party is bored or disgusted by the topic of conversation.
8. “Life for me ain’t been no crystal stair.”
9. “One day I was walking by the lake. I spotted a feller whose name was McSnake. And I gave him such a shake, that the adder became a subtracter.”–Clement’s version of high poetry. He quotes it at random moments.
10. “But da Tar Baby, he say “nuthin.”
11. “How about another piece?”–usually said after the first dessert has been consumed.
Here are the quoted characters. And if you have met each and everyone, I suggest that , “Thou acquaint thyself.”
A. Pooh–loveable, loveable Winne-the-Pooh
B. Lucille Ball–what a funny lady!
C. Langston Hughes-an American Poet
D. Mr. Whiskers–the scratchy hero of Cranberry Thanksgiving
E. Bugs Bunny–“Mr. Warner. . .I’m ba-a-a-a-ck!”
F. “Cheaper by the Dozen” by members of the Gilbreth family
G. Boo-Hoo Hippopotamus in Paul White’s Jungle Fables
H. Andy Cap from the cartoon series.
I. Pirates! and also found in the book “Swallows and Amazons”
J. From Brer Rabbit’s conversation in “Tales from Uncle Remus”
K. from the author Brian Jacques in Rakkety-Tam
Soooooo! Guess away!
and have a great day!