Recipe–Huevos Rancheros–My Brother’s Recipe

I love big breakfasts!

Home schooling allows for big breakfasts.

Now I would hate to think that my love for food would have influenced our decision to homeschool, but. . . .

Let’s just put it this way.  Big breakfasts are one of the fringe benefits of homeschooling.

Over Christmas, my brother made this breakfast for us.  IT WAS SOOOOO GOOD!  We have made it several times since.

Now the name “Huevos Rancheros” turned me off because the first time I was served a dish called “Huevos Rancheros” it was scrambled eggs with canned tomatoes (Rotel), sausage and other odds and ends all mixed together.  The result looked awful!  Beyond awful!

Let me introduce you to delectable, delicous, delightful and desired Huevos Rancheros–which is Spanish for “Ranch Eggs”.  We eat these at breakfast and often at supper time.

Gather the ingredients.  Tostadas are the flat corn tacos shells in the first picture.  We like refried beans, sharp cheddar cheese, green peppers, onions, ground sausage, and eggs.

Brown up the ground sausage.  I always spray my pan with PAM first, as it makes cleaning up afterwards easier.  (I love PAM!)

While the sausage is browning, cut up an onion and a green pepper.  How you cut the pepper and onion depends on what the kiddos need to be able to “pick out.”

Using the same pan in which the sausage was browned, take out the sausage and throw in the peppers and onions.

Use this time to also heat up your refried beans.

Grate up some cheese, then set up your assembly line.  I like to use these paper boats.  You can buy them at GFS–Gordon’s Food Service.  They are handy for 1 million things including serving snacks to the neighborhood, organizing art supplies for a project, or an easy lunch.

We like salsa and sour cream on our Huevos Rancheros.  And if I had it, I would have added some

sliced avacado.

You can add a fried eggs to your Huevos Rancheros, and it tastes delicious, however, if you want to make this dish slightly healthier,  you can use a poached egg.  While the eggs are poaching, smear some refried beans on your corn tostada.

When the egg is poached to perfection, slide the egg onto the tostada, then add the toppings–sausage, peppers-n-onions, cheese, salsa, and a dollap of sour cream.  Sprinkle everything with a little salt-n-peppah, and MMMmmmmMMMMM! (Give thanks) and take a bite!

La Cusinera,

Senora Rebecca

P.S.  Once I omitted the sausage from my tostada, but layered on the peppers-n-onions fried up in the sausage pan.  The flavour was there without the added fat.  It was probably only slightly more healthy, but sometimes several slightlies add up.

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Recipe–Huevos Rancheros–My Brother’s Recipe

Is this “knife and fork”, or pick up in hands food??

A little of both. The beans soften the tostada a little bit, so that if kind of cuts, but I sometimes just pick up my tostada and bite away.

2. natalie says:

Mmmm. Those sound really good. I think that brother of yours has tried the California/Ruby’s Diner version of Huevos Rancheros and approved of them. We’ll have to take you there next time your out here! Yum. ♥

Does Rudy’s have a special sauce on them? My brother mentioned that Uncle Jake has some secret sauce recipe. Do you know anything about it? I’d love to get the recipe.

• natalie says:

from Ruby’s website (www.rubys.com):

HUEVOS RANCHEROS
        Fried jumbo eggs atop crispy flour tortillas layered with vegetarian black beans, fresh house-made salsa and guacamole, low-fat, shredded cheese, real sour cream, black olives and chopped green onions.

I don’t know about Uncle Jake’s secret sauce recipe, maybe it’s time I paid them a visit…

3. Thank you for giving me something new to look forward to when we return to the U.S. There are precious few Mexican ingredients on the grocery shelves in Australia, and North American ground sausage is something we all dearly miss. I can just about taste the combination of flavours you described today!

4. Laura says:

YUMMO!!!

5. Heather says:

Whadya know, I have all the ingredients on hand and just might make these for dinner! And if the secret sauce from Uncle Jake (another secret?) ever gets published, let me know what it’s all about! Sounds delightful.