She Said–Postcards From the Pacific–Day Ten–April 19, 2012

APRIL 19, 2012–DAY 10

5:00 a.m. in the morning.  The alarm went off.

5:03 a.m.  I got up.  The car was mostly loaded, so we just added the kiddos in their jammies.  Grandpa and Grandma got up to say good-bye.

5:23  a.m.  We were out the door and on our way home.

5:39 a.m.  We left the gas station.

7:25 a.m.  Our first stop–McDonald’s for breakfast.  Ellensburg, Washington is a beautiful place, and we enjoyed driving through this high valley while the early morning light was still a golden color.

7:58 a.m.  And we are back on the road.

9:43  Our second stop–bathroom and a leg stretch.  At the Ritzville Rest Area, The Hunni got out the jump rope and the kiddos all got some exercise.  The early morning showdows are still long as it is still early spring up north.

Little Man just ran around, glad to be free of a car seat and a 5-point harness

11:14  We stop at a Safeway in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.  Scout had a headache and needed Advil.  I worry about her as she gets headaches.  She has had her eyes checked, so it isn’t that.  She also isn’t a complainer, so I know that they must hurt.

11:55  Ate sandwiches in the car.

3:25  Little Man was about to fall asleep, so we stopped at Butte, Montana for gas.  He will sleep as long as the car is running, but the moment we stop, he wakes up.  Therefore, we try to always stop and get gas before he goes out.  That way, he can get a longer nap.

We also stopped at Dairy Queen to keep the rest of the troops happy.  I love turtle sundaes!!  The girls love green or grape freezes.  The Hunni and LBG (Little Big Guy) usually get milkshakes.  Dairy Queen used to be the biggest treat when I was growing up.  It was the only fast food restaurant in town, and sometimes we would go there after Wednesday night Bible Study.  In fact, ice cream is the first word I learned how to spell because my dad would ask my mom, “What do you think about getting some i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m?”  It was my brother who told me what those letters spelled.  I should never have worried, as if my dad was to the point of asking about i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m, it was as good as done.  We always went.

5:39  Sure enough about 150 miles later, everyone had to use the restroom.  We were out in the middle of nowhere again, so we pulled off the road for another scenic potty stop.  We were also bored and just wanted to run around a bit.

6:01 We pulled into our hotel in Bozeman.  We had made good time, and we had had a good time.  Here is a list of some of the things we saw along our way:

  • 2 herd of elk
  • 4 eagles at once
  • 1 lone eagle
  • 1 cow having a baby (two legs sticking out her backside.)
  • 3 hitch hikers
  • 1 rusty U.F.O. (sculpture)
  • train with 103 cars
  • 4 eagle nests without eagles

Little Man wanted a ride.

I had seen a town called Bozeman Hot Springs on the map, so we looked it up on The Hunni’s Notebook.  Sure enough, there were hot spring there, but the pool had mixed reviews.  We check at the front desk for the hours of operation because the website said that the hours were rather random.  The front desk called the Hot Springs for us and discovered that they were opened until 9:00 that night.  We all were excited and started to get ready to go.  Then the front desk called again and said that we were being too loud and the people below us were complaining.  After that, we heard every heavy footfall and thud of the kiddos and started yelling at them.  It is a good thing we had a place to go.

Overall, I would say that the restrooms were clean enough and the pool was definitely clean.  They had several pools of varying temperatures.  I never could get all the way into the hottest pool, and I never could completely submerge into the freezing cold pool.  We had a great time, and my stiff left shoulder definitely appreciated the dip.  We would stop by again.

8: 40  We left the Hot Spring and knew we needed to think about supper.  I had seen a Famous Dave’s BBQ, so I called ahead an order thinking that it would close right at nine o’clock.  Famous Dave’s was opened until 10:00 but we still got it to go.

9:08  We entered our hotel room and started the kiddos eating a late supper.  We had not been in the room for more than 10 minutes when the front desk again called to tell us that the people below us had complained again.    We shushed the kiddos, barked at them every time they walked around, and tried to hurriedly stuff food into them.  Thankfully, we had all showered at the Hot Spring.  As we were getting the kiddos tucked in, the phone rang again—yep, it was the front desk.  We were being too loud.  At that point, thankfully, the last kiddo was being tucked in.  We had all four in a King size bed.  My nerves, that had relaxed in the hot spring were all pulled tight again.

10:11  My head hit the pillow and I started to snore.



This entry was posted in She said... and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to She Said–Postcards From the Pacific–Day Ten–April 19, 2012

  1. brooke says:

    Yeah, I would say that two legs sticking out her rear end is enough evidence to say she was having a calf : )


  2. Kelly K says:

    Welcome to the stiff left shoulder club.


    • whitsendmom says:

      I think it is blogging, and driving long distances, and carrying a diaper bag that is too heavy, and carrying Little Man, and groceries. My MIL gave me a wonderful little pill from Canada that really helped. I was to the point where I couldn’t lift my left arm.


  3. nicole i says:

    i love the idea of a jump rope at a rest stop.


  4. natalie says:

    A lot of that scenery looks awfully familiar. : )


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s