Recipe–Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie

Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie–for pumpkin lovers.

My Hunni loves pumpkin pie.  It is the only “yellow vegetable” that he eats, so he tries to make up for all the summer squash he didn’t consume all summer by eating slice after slice of pumpkin pie in the fall.

Now I used to make regular pumpkin pie, but on The Hunni’s second piece he never ate the crust, just the pie filling.  He said, “Can’t you make a pie with more pumpkin in it?”  So I created the Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie.

Everything is just the same as a regular pumpkin pie, except that I make it in a spring-form pan.  I always use Libby’s pumpkin.  We have tried others and they just don’t taste as “deep”.  I also use the recipe right off the can, except that I add a pinch more spices–like a half more.  For a Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie, you need two 15 oz. cans of pumpkin or one of those extra-large cans.

Of course real whipped cream is a must.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving–no matter how you celebrate it.

P.S.  If you want to read a couple of my past Thanksgivings here are some posts I wrote last year.

She Said–That was a Thanksgiving that Really Happened–The Hotel Incident

She Said–That was a Thanksgiving that Really Happened–Inconvenient Kids

She Said–That Was a Thanksgiving That Really Happened–The U Turns

She Said–That Was a Thanksgiving That Really Happened–Homeschool Traditional Thanksgiving

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Recipe–Deep Dish Pumpkin Pie

1. Liz says:

Yummo! This looks delicious!

2. Laura says:

I’m definately going to try that for this Thanksgiving! Looks delish! Do you make your own crust? (It’s looks too flaky to be store-made!) If so, what recipe do you follow?

I just used the recipe in Better Homes and Gardens. I can never get my crust supper thin, so I usually double the recipe so I don’t have to worry about not having enough. I roll a circle for the bottom of the springform pan, then cut long straight strips for the sides. I pinch together everyseam. Hope you guys are all okay with all the storms hitting you! Been thinking about everyone of the east coast!

• Laura says:

Our little town was thankfully spared through Sandy but that can’t be said just a FEW MILES away!! The weather has been crazy lately…we had a 3+ inches of snow just a few days ago…more than all of last winter! A sure sign of HIS soon coming!! 🙂

3. Debbie says:

What a great idea…..can’t wait to make a pie now!! =)

4. Elizabeth says:

Did you bake it longer than a regular pie? I’ve already got one in the oven now with my best guess from another springform recipe (starts at 425° for 15 min and then 325° for an hour longer, checking near the end for doneness), but I was curious how you baked yours.